96FM Perth
Experience The Change

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Elton John To Quit Touring: UK Report

Elton John is quitting touring after nearly 50 years, according to a UK newspaper report.

The 70-year-old star, whose record sales have been in decline in recent years, is calling time on the road after one last world tour, The Daily Mirror said.

Perfect for tea on Boxing Day. @gucci @lallo25

A post shared by Elton John (@eltonjohn) on

The newspaper said the British musician is planning to reveal details in an announcement later on Wednesday.

The report comes less than a year after John was forced to cancel a series of shows when he contracted a bacterial infection.

He became "violently ill" during a flight home from Santiago, Chile, and was admitted to hospital where he spent two nights in intensive care.

Following his return John had to cancel the May and April dates in his Las Vegas residency.

John, who first toured Australia in 1971, has played 186 concerts across the country and played shows in September last year.

During his long career, he has won a total of five Grammys.

Although there has been no official announcement from Sir Elton, a video posted on his Twitter page said he was "embarking on the next phase of his creative journey".

The montage video said: "On August 25 1970 Elton John made his US debut in a legendary six-night sold out run at West Hollywood's Troubadour.

"Five decades later he continues to be a creative force moving faster than the speed of culture.

"Now Elton's embarking on the next phase of his creative journey and it will be every bit as surprising and powerful as his first performance almost 50 years ago."

AAP

Share this: