96FM Perth
Better Music And More Of It

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Ricki Lee Coulter Has Issued A Huge Warning To Her Fans

Ricki-Lee Coulter has taken to Instagram to share the details of an accident that temporarily blinded her.

The ex-Australian Idol contestant took to Instagram a year after she was admitted to hospital with a warning for her followers.

“A cautionary tale… be careful when opening champagne bottles, always keep the top covered with your hand! That shit is dangerous!”

A CAUTIONARY TALE...and some not so happy snaps! The full story is on my FB page, but here's a long story short! A year ago today, I was sitting on the edge of the couch opening a bottle of champagne, when my little sister came over to give me a hug. I lent down to hug her, and with my eye just inches from the bottle...it popped! I thought I'd been blind sided by Mike Tyson! It was excruciating! To start with I couldn't see a thing, everything was black - then when I stopped seeing black everything was blurry and I couldn't focus on anything. I was terrified I would never see again. The pain was like nothing I have ever felt. It was extremely painful to move my eyes, so I had to keep them closed and I was being pushed around in a wheelchair - the eye was also extremely sensitive to light so I had to wear a scarf around my head to keep out any light. There was an emergency room visit, and multiple visits to the Royal Victorian Eye & Ear hospital where they did CT scans and multiple eye examinations which were almost unbearably uncomfortable... and from what they could see there was bleeding in the chamber of the eye, and bruising on the back of the eye. To manage the pain I had a whole lot of pain killers, a bunch of different eye drops and had to stay in a dark room for a 10 days and try to use my eyes as little as possible. Couldn't cook, watch tv, look at my phone...but with all the pain killers I was out for pretty much 20 hours a day! But if the bleeding didn't stop I'd have to have surgery and there could have been permanent vision loss. However - I was extremely lucky to make a full recovery and after about a month my vision was 20/20! It could have been a lot worse...but I'm so thankful for the doctors & nurses who looked after me, and did everything they could to help manage the pain and help me make a full recovery! But a lesson to you all...BE CAREFUL when opening champagne bottles, always keep the top covered with your hand! That shit is dangerous! Who would have thought something so fun can do so much damage?! 😝 xxx

A post shared by R I C K I - L E E (@therickilee) on



Ricki went on to explain that she went to a hospital after a severe eye injury after a champagne bottle popped just inches from one of her eyes.

She explained “I was sitting on the edge of the couch opening a bottle of champagne when my little sister came over to give me a hug. I lent down to hug her, and with my eye just inches fro the bottle… it popped… it was excruciating!”

Well, that is a warning to us all!

Share this: