Model Who Had Toxic Shock Syndrome Has Second Leg Amputated
Imagine experiencing flu-like symptoms, a high fever, and then being rushed to
This was the reality for model Lauren Wasser when she was just 24.
After a week and a half, Wasser woke to severe burning in her feet as she had developed gangrene, the death of tissues in the body, and had no choice but to allow the amputation of her right leg below the knee.
Although her left heel and all five of her left toes were severely damaged and had to be removed, Wasser wrote in InStyle, she opted to keep the left leg, knowing she'd likely need an additional amputation around age 50, she told Cosmopolitan.com in June 2015.
This was all due to the development of Toxic Shock Syndrome, a bacterial infection that is caused by the
The bacteria release toxins into the bloodstream which cause symptoms of shock. The toxins can also damage organs and body tissue, which can cause death if left untreated. Health Direct report that TSS can affect anyone, though it is more common among women when they are menstruating while changing tampons regularly is beneficial in many ways, it’s important to note that there is no evidence that tampons cause TSS.
It is caused by bacteria. This winter, though, Wasser wrote in InStyle that she'd need to have her left leg amputated within the next few months due to an open ulcer and excruciating pain. Last week, Wasser posted a photo to Instagram suggesting her surgery would be sooner rather than later.
"Life is about to be so different, again!" she wrote in her caption. "I’m in great spirits though and ready for my next chapter."
On Monday, Wasser posted a post-operative update with similar messaging: Posing in her hospital bed next to surprise visitor,