Boy, 5, Tests Positive For Meth After Trick Or Treating
A young boy has been hospitalisd after his Halloween celebrations turned to horror.
The five-year-old from Galion, Ohio in the US, tested positive for methamphetamine after he went trick or treating on Sunday.
Braylen Carwell was rushed to hospital by his parents after he came home from collecting sweets and reportedly suffered from a seizure and began shaking.
“He was disoriented, he didn’t know who was who and where he was at,” said the boys mum, Julia Pence, to CNN. “They told me that my son had methamphetamine in his urine."
The Galion Police Department said in a statement that they began investigating after a report that a young boy had failed ill.
They asked if he had been trick or treating and eaten the lollies, however Braylen claimed that the only thing he put in his mouth was a pair of fake vampire teeth.
The novelty teeth, along with Braylen’s collection of lollies, have since been sent away for laboratory testing.
“You could tell at the hospital that he was real high from whatever he ingested,” continued the 5-year-old’s mother. “He was really wired and kind of aggressive, had different mood swings. When we came home he was real tired, he was coming down from it.”
Police are still working out how the boy ingested the drug, however, they have said that this is a rare occurrence.
“This is an oddity,” said Galion Police Chief Brian Saterfield to CNN. “This is not something that happens all the time.”
The chief continued to say that they have not received any other reports of kids becoming ill after trick or treating. However, he said that it doesn’t hurt for parents to be cautious as their kids accept treats from strangers.
“This does not happen often,” continued Mr Saterfield. “I think parents should always be concerned, looking at the candy. Look for anything that looks out of place, if the candy bag is open or ripped, throw it away.”