• Keeping It Real
  • Listen on
on air
Weekdays 12:00PM - 4:00PM

Doug Terry

  • now playing:
    Keeping It Real
    96fm
  • Listen on
MENU

Perth 'Home Alone' Mum Charges Dropped

Charges against a Chinese woman who allegedly left her four and six-year-old children home alone in Perth while she went overseas have been dropped.

The heavily pregnant mother, who was living in Cloverdale, faced child neglect charges and was accused of leaving her children behind in June while she went to Bali to renew her visa while her husband was also overseas.

When the 28-year-old appeared in the Perth Magistrates Court on Wednesday, assisted by a Mandarin interpreter, she was told the charges had been dropped after police prosecutors liaised with the Department for Child Protection and Department of Immigration.

The court heard it was unlikely the woman would have received a custodial sentence and the children, who are not Australian citizens, have to leave the country on September 26.

They will be returned to their mother's custody and travel together back to China while the father remains overseas, her lawyer Oliver Paxman said outside court.

Mr Paxman said his client had arranged for the children to be cared for, but could not elaborate further.

Police could face some public backlash over the decision to abandon the case, he said, which would be unjust.

The prosecution would have taken up to a year or more to pursue.

"Given that this lady has got two young children, is heavily pregnant with her third child - to keep her in Australia for the sole purpose of conducting that prosecution would have cost the state and the federal government huge sums of money," he said.

"So we applaud the West Australian Police for making a very sensible decision, a decision that is in the public interest."

He said his client was relieved the case had been discontinued, loved her children and wanted to correct reports she had left the country to go on holidays.

"She was in a situation where she was under a great degree of pressure, she barely speaks a word of English and did her absolute best to try and arrange care of the children," he said.

"It is an unfortunate set of facts but she did not knowingly abandon her children.

"It has been a traumatic ordeal for her."

Her third child is expected in November.

Pic credit: Seven News

AAP

Share this:

  • advertisement