If you were watching Nine News on Sunday, you might have thought you were being pranked.
Just after 10pm, between a Tokyo Games update and the weather with Scherri-Lee Biggs, a five-minute classic UK comedy sketch from ‘The Two Ronnies’ was broadcast.
In the middle of the news.
Like Peter Overton introduced it and everything, meaning it was no mistake:
Twitter was confused…
Nine News in Sydney just played a 50 year old Two Ronnies sketch — for no reason whatsoever.
— Dan Ilic 🔣 (@danilic) July 18, 2021
…but kind of OK with it, taking the time to quote the show and sharing their fave skits:
- I wish our news programs would do stuff like that when they have nothing to say.
- Well it’s goodnight from me, & it’s goodnight from him
- Do you need a reason to play the 2 ronnies
- I quite like that strategy!
- I switched over and thought I’d time warped back to the 70’s. It was fun but I’m glad to hear I hadn’t missed the context.
If you’re keen to watch the whole thing, we’ve popped it up in the video player up top, I mean, it’s ‘Fork Handles’, an absolute classic lol.