AUSTRALIAN DOG OWNERS ARE BEING WARNED TO CHECK THEIR CANNED PET FOOD AFTER A POPULAR BRAND expanded its voluntary recall ON PRODUCTS THAT COULD CAUSE SERIOUS HEALTH ISSUES.
Hills Pet Nutrition has extended its recall of its canned dog food after discovering it carries potentially toxic levels of vitamin D.
The global recall affects dog owners in Australia, where the products are sold through pet stores, veterinary clinics and online.
A statement posted on the company’s website confirms that it relates to the same vitamin premix that led to the first voluntary recall in February.
The Hill’s statement says: “Dogs may suffer from symptoms including vomiting, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, excessive drooling, and weight loss.”
“Vitamin D, when consumed at very high levels, can lead to serious health issues in dogs including renal dysfunction.
“Pet parents with dogs who have consumed any of the products listed and are exhibiting any of these signs should contact their veterinarian. In most cases, complete recovery is expected after discontinuation of feeding.”
The company’s US Vice President and General Manager, Jesper Nordengaard, has addressed a message to veterinarian’s worldwide stating that it’s with “sincere regret” that he was writing to announce the recall expansion.
“Following the recall, we conducted a detailed review of our canned dog foods. As we had expected, that review confirmed that the issue is isolated to the same vitamin premix used in canned dog foods and limited to specific production lots,” he wrote.
“However, our review did determine that there were additional products affected by that vitamin premix, and it is for that reason that we are expanding the recall.”
It’s important to note that none of the company’s dry foods, cat foods or treats are affected by this second recall.
The company state that discarded products can be replaced at no cost if owners contact their local pet store, vet clinic or online e-retailer where they bought it.
They can also contact Hill’s on its website, email HillshelplineANZ@hillspet.com or ring 1800 679 932.
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Perfect Weight Chicken & Vegetable Entree Dog Food 363g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ c/d™ Multicare Canine Chicken & Vegetable Stew 156g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult 7+ Healthy Cuisine Roasted Chicken, Carrots & Spinach Stew Dog Food 354g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Healthy Cuisine Braised Beef, Carrots & Peas Stew Dog Food 354g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ i/d™ Low Fat Canine Rice, Vegetable & Chicken Stew 156g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Beef & Barley Entrée Dog Food 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ i/d™ Canine Chicken & Vegetable Stew 156g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ i/d™ Canine 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ j/d™ Canine 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ k/d™ Canine 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ w/d™ Canine 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ z/d™ Canine 370g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ Metabolic + Mobility Canine Vegetable & Tuna Stew 354g
– Hill’s™ Prescription Diet™ Derm Defense™ Canine Chicken & Vegetable Stew 354g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Puppy Chicken & Barley Entrée 370g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Chicken & Barley Entrée Dog Food 370g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult Light with Liver Dog Food 370g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult 7+ Chicken & Barley Entrée Dog Food 370g
– Hill’s™ Science Diet™ Adult 7+ Youthful Vitality Chicken & Vegetable Stew dog food 354g