A pet parrot saved a man from a house fire in Brisbane on Tuesday night.

Resident Anton Nguyen said he was lucky to escape after his bird, Eric, woke him up before the smoke detectors went off.

“I heard a bang and Eric — my parrot — he started to yell so I woke up and I smelled a bit of smoke,” Mr Nguyen told the ABC.

“I grabbed Eric, opened the door and looked to the back of the house and saw some flames.

“And so, I’ve grabbed my bag and took off and bolted downstairs.”

QFES Acting Inspector Cam Thomas said Eric squawked “Anton! Anton!” to wake Mr Nguyen up and alert him of the danger.

“There were smoke detectors [but] the bird alerted before the smoke detectors went off.”



Missed The Bunch with Clairsy & Lisa? Catch up by clicking play below!