Two Aussie tourists say they went temporarily blind after drinking a couple of cocktails laced with methanol disguised at vodka in Bali.

Brianna Scott and Katie Linane, both 21, from Victoria just thought it was “a horrible hangover” they were experiencing from the previous night out.

“We woke up and had vertigo and Katie’s vision was blurry. I honestly couldn’t see much … I was seeing stars. I thought it must be a bit of heat stroke,” Ms Scott told Yahoo News Australia.

“We were power spewing and we had the runs. It wouldn’t stop, we just went back to bed to sleep because that’s all we could do. We were completely dysfunctional.”

However, it’s understood that the pair had drunk a couple of cocktails that apparently contained methanol.

“We couldn’t use the phone without shutting one eye and taking the phone an arm length away from our faces.”

Experts say duty-free vodka is a safer choice in Bali.


Professor Paul Haber, the head of Drug and Alcohol Services at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital told that if anyone felt sick after a drink, to stop drinking and seek immediate medical attention.

“If for some reason you cannot access medical care, drinking alcohol from a legitimate source may be better than having no treatment of any sort,” he told

Methanol Poisoning Signs

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dizziness
  • Vertigo
  • Blurred vision
Missed Clairsy & Lisa? Catch up by clicking play below!