The threat of Western Australia reintroducing border restrictions has been renewed after NSW recorded its first locally acquired COVID-19 case in almost a fortnight.
The infected man is a 45-year-old van driver who ferries international air crew to and from Sydney Airport.
NSW authorities say the man has not been involved in regular taxi services for the public and wore a mask while working.
The other three members of his household have tested negative for the virus and contact tracing is underway.
WA last week reopened its borders to NSW and Victoria, removing the 14-day quarantine requirement for travellers from those states.
But nine days before Christmas, Premier Mark McGowan isn’t ruling out reimposing hard border restrictions if further infections are detected in NSW.
“We’ll continue to monitor the situation,” he told reporters on Wednesday.
“The controlled border we have in place with all other states allows us to put up a hard border immediately if we need to and if the advice comes back that we need to put up a hard border, then we will.”
Mr McGowan said it was good news that the infected man’s family members had tested negative.
“Obviously there’ll be further testing as to who else the driver may have been in contact with and we’ll make a further decision as soon as we get that advice,” he said.
“The chief health officer will work all that out and hopefully we’ll have advice in the coming days.”
The premier said international flight crew arriving into WA were required to stay in a designated hotel and had their own special transport.
NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard has flagged that his state may place air crew in full hotel quarantine until their next flight out of the country.
WA’s borders are now fully open to all states and territories besides South Australia. A tentative date of Christmas Day has been set for allowing South Australians to arrive into WA without having to go into quarantine.
Mr McGowan said he expected to receive updated health advice on SA within the coming week.