After a snap 5-day lockdown, Perth will have its stay-home restrictions eased.
On Thursday night, WA Premier Mark McGowan announced that, pending ongoing testing results and expert health advice, the lockdown of Perth and Peel regions will end at 6pm on Friday evening, making way for a two-week transition period which will allow for a full 14-day incubation period.
The South West lockdown will also end at this time but will immediately return to pre-lockdown conditions.
A post-lockdown transition period for the Perth and Peel regions will remain in place until 12.01am Sunday morning, 14 February (happy Valentine’s Day!) – allowing for the full 14-day incubation period to run its course.
During this period, some restrictions will remain:
– Everyone must continue to wear a mask in public and while at work, unless exempt or for outdoor vigorous exercise
– All business and venues can reopen, except for the casino and nightclubs
– 4 square metre capacity rule in place for most venues
– 150-person capacity – excluding staff – at hospitality, entertainment and venues and events including weddings and funerals at these venues
– Community sport can start, and involve up to 150 people including players, officials and spectators.
– Seated service only at hospitality venues
– Dancing only permitted at weddings and dance studios
– 20-person limit for private indoor and outdoor gatherings
– Visits to aged care and disability care facilities restricted to compassionate grounds
– Residential school and boarding facilities can resume with a COVID Safety Plan
– Only essential travel is permitted in and out of the Perth and Peel regions to other parts of WA
– FIFO workers can leave the Perth/Peel region however documentation is required and strict health protocols.
Perth and Peel schools will kick back off from Monday, February 8.
Masks will be mandatory for all school staff and secondary students. Masks are not required for primary school students.
Masks are also mandatory for staff at childcare facilities as well as students and staff in higher education, including TAFEs and universities.
Teaching staff are permitted to remove their mask if teaching at the front of the classroom to enable clear enunciation.
CONTACT TRACING APP & SCANNING IN
The SafeWA app crucial part of post-lockdown and you will need to use it or sign-in every time at public venues, the onus is on businesses to ensure a contact register is available.From 6pm on Friday, individuals can face penalties if they fail to scan-in using the app or manual register.
McGowan said that if people are deliberately flouting, and observed doing so, police can absolutely lay charges. The penalty for not scanning is an up to $1000 infringement but can skyrocket to $50,000 if it goes to court.
He added that it was his observation that people were overwhelmingly doing the right thing.
Elective surgery at WA public hospitals will resume once the lockdown has ended and people will be contacted directly to re-schedule and re-book their appointments which were suspended due to the five-day lockdown.
DO I HAVE TO WEAR A MASK IN A RESTAURANT OR BAR?
Yes. You can remove it to eat and drink but then must put it back on.
WHAT ABOUT WHILE EXERCISING?
No, you can exercise outside without a mask, if you’re inside, then yes.
CAN A BRIDE AND GROOM REMOVE MASKS FOR PHOTOS? (an actual question)
McGowan cited common sense would be required.
IS A WEDDING DOWN SOUTH ESSENTIAL TRAVEL?
WHAT ABOUT FRINGE?
Gigs with no more than 150 patrons are fine. While dancing is only permitted at weddings and dance studios, dancing Fringe performers are also cool – the stage is considered their workplace so they can dance no worries.
***Need more info? You can head here www.wa.gov.au. ORRRR tune in to Botica’s Bunch who’ll have the Premier on the show after 6am tomorrow.