A gas leak appears to have caused the deaths of a father and son during a family camping trip near Wedge Island.

Police and paramedics attended about 8 kilometres south of the Wedge Island access road, some 150 kilometres north of Perth, on Monday morning after being told the boy was not breathing.

They found the 11-year-old boy and man in his 40s dead.

A woman believed to be the man’s wife, also in her 40s, was at the scene needing urgent medical help.

She was flown to Royal Perth Hospital before being transferred to Fiona Stanley Hospital, where she remains in a serious but stable condition.

It’s understood the family’s dog also died.

The two deaths were not being treated as suspicious.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“Initial investigation at the scene suggests there may have been a fault with an item of camping equipment located inside the tent the family were sleeping in,” WA Police said in a statement.

“This aspect of the investigation is ongoing.”

WA Police Minister Michelle Roberts said the incident was “very disturbing”.

“I understand there may have been some kind of gas leak from a fridge that was being used in the tent,” she said.

“It is just very tragic. It is a long weekend, so many people would have had a similar experience of camping, be it at Wedge Island or somewhere else, and they would have used potentially similar equipment.

“There really does need to be a thorough investigation into how this occurred.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

A report will be prepared for the coroner.

Police want to speak to anybody who was camping in the area.