The pizza bar worker whose alleged lie sparked a statewide lockdown has said that he is now considering legal action against the state government for ruining his reputation.
The revelation comes after SAPOL announced that, following an investigation, no charges would be brought against the Spanish national.
However, the man’s lawyer has now told The Advertiser that a defamation case could still be filed against the State Government, saying that his client felt “belittled” by the way the government treated the situation.
The man’s lawyer told The Advertiser that his client is concerned that his reputation not only in Adelaide, but also in his native Spain has been tarnished by the government’s commentary.
“He has every reason to believe his reputation in Spain has been damaged because people there have already identified him … he’s no longer in quarantine but he’s certainly in hiding,” the lawyer told The Advertiser.
On Wednesday, SA Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Harvey confirmed that no further legal action would be taken against the man because of a lack of evidence.
“In very simple terms, the advice provided back to investigators is that based on the limited evidence available for presentation to a court, the matter will likely not succeed or progress,” Mr Harvey told reporters on Wednesday.
News of the man’s alleged misleading of contact tracers reportedly enraged South Australian Premier Steven Marshall, who said that he was “furious” when he learned that the state had been sent into lockdown over incorrect information.