A Tasmanian man who flew to Perth via Sydney is on the run after being denied entry and ordered into hotel quarantine.
West Australian police say the man travelled from Tasmania to Sydney, while the city was in lockdown, and continued on to Perth on Thursday.
He fled after being formally denied permission to enter the state and told to stay in hotel quarantine while waiting for a flight out, police said.
The 32-year-old’s current location is not known but police believe he may be travelling with another man from Perth to the Geraldton area.
Western Australia recorded one new local case of COVID-19 on Sunday amid the first phase of interim post-lockdown restrictions in Perth and the Peel region.
The man is the partner of a previous case, a woman who attended a gym in Perth’s northern suburbs that is listed as an exposure site.
He has been in self-isolation since June 26 and Health Minister Roger Cook said the man did not pose any public health risk.
“This is a good outcome,” he told reporters on Sunday.
“This person had done all the right things. Home quarantined before they were infectious, made sure they monitored their health and got tested again.”
Mr Cook said the man, aged in his 30s, had initially tested negative but became symptomatic on July 1 and returned a positive test on Saturday.
It’s the sixth case linked to Perth’s northern suburbs cluster, which triggered a four-day lockdown last week.
Although two million Perth and Peel residents emerged from lockdown on Saturday, interim restrictions remain in effect including mandatory mask-wearing indoors and outdoors and capacity limits at hospitality venues.
A second phase of less onerous restrictions will be enforced from Tuesday until 12.01am on Monday July 12, when Perth and Peel are slated to return to pre-lockdown life.