A dog owner is heartbroken after her three dogs died suddenly after playing in and around a pond filled with toxic algae.
In a series of Facebook posts, Melissa Martin took her dogs, Abby, Harpo and Izzy, to play at a nearby pond. It wasn’t until she took them home that things started taking a turn for the worse. While giving them a bath, the dogs began having seizures.
She rushed them to the emergency vet, but it was too late.
It was revealed that the dogs died as a result of cyanobacteria, more commonly known as blue-green algae.
“We just brought our dogs here to have a good time,” Martin told WWAY-TV.
“We were with other dogs. The other dog is totally fine. For some reason ours just didn’t… we lost them within three hours. I mean, we joke that we used to give our dogs bottled water. We would never put them in a situation like this. They were everything.”
A few days later, another dog died after swimming in a pond with blue-green algae.
“We took our sweet Arya to the lake and had the best day playing ball and swimming around!” Morgan Fleming posted on Facebook.
“About 30 minutes later on the drive home, we noticed her making weird noises and she threw up and pooped in the car. We called our vet on the drive and they suggested we take her in. By this point our girl couldn’t even stand… They told us she was in critical condition so we took her to the ER.
“By the time we got there, she was brain dead… We lost our fun, loving, and crazy girl to what we can only assume was a lake toxin such as blue green algae.”
Melissa Martin is honouring their memory by spreading awareness about blue-green algae. They have set up a fundraiser to purchase signs and erect them in front of contaminated water to prevent further pet deaths.
“By the end of this year, I plan to contact whoever I need to contact to make sure we have signs up at every body of water like this that says it’s toxic,” Martin told the publication. “Because nobody knows. Kids could get in it and it could poison them as well.”
Children and pets are encouraged to avoid water that appears discoloured, and not touch large accumulations of algae.