An Australian Gin manufacturer has had to URGENTLY recall a batch of their bottles as they were accidentally filled with hand sanitiser.

Apollo Bay Distillery had sold a number of bottles that were labelled gin but filled with a hand sanitiser that was not safe for human consumption.

It’s understood that at least nine 700ml bottles of sanitiser – which contained glycerol and hydrogen peroxide – were labelled as ‘SS Casino Dry Gin’ and were sold between June 5-7 2020.

Food Standards Australia say glycerol and hydrogen peroxide “may cause injury/illness if consumed”, adding that the possible side effects include “nausea, headaches, dizziness, bloating, vomiting, thirst, and diarrhoea”.

Although a limited number were sold, it was enough to cause illness.

A customer reportedly commented on their Facebook page claiming to feel unwell.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Had one glass of this at lunchtime and had a really bad headache and felt nauseous…about 1 hour after and had to take nausea tablets and nurofen,” according to News.com.

Another Facebook user commented that it “tasted horrible”.

The company posted a statement to their socials saying the bottles were unsealed and were “not toxic”.