Rory Lobb booted a career-high five goals as Fremantle outlasted Port Adelaide by eight points in an Optus Stadium thriller to consolidate their spot in the AFL’s top-four.

In a contest stacked with highlights, the Dockers had led by 40 points on Sunday before Port stormed their way back with five goals either side of three-quarter time to reduce the margin to single digits.

But in the dying minutes, the Power’s Robbie Gray and Todd Marshall each failed to convert straightforward set shots and the Dockers held on to run out 15.9 (99) to 14.7 (91) winners.

The win puts Fremantle a game clear in fourth position and one win shy of ladder-leaders Melbourne.

But it may come at a cost with injury-prone key forward Matt Taberner (two goals) substituted out with a hamstring concern in the final term.

Taberner has managed just eight games this season after being sidelined with hamstring and back issues.

A crowd of 41,326 enjoyed no shortage of highlights before the blockbuster finish.

Fremantle rising star Hayden Young had the Dockers faithful on their feet when he sat on the head of a hapless Lachie Jones and pulled down a remarkable grab in the second quarter.

Caleb Serong delivered some more magic minutes later, slotting a running goal from the tightest of angles on the boundary line to put the hosts up by 25 points at halftime.

Power young gun Mitch Georgiades delivered his own mark-of-the-year contender late in the third term when he soared above the 195cm Brennan Cox.

But it was Fremantle’s Brownlow Medal hopeful Andrew Brayshaw who delivered arguably the key moment, his sensational rundown tackle on Jeremy Finlayson setting up a Lachie Shultz goal which curbed Port’s late-game run.

“He had a couple of massive contests in the last quarter. He just never gives up,” Fremantle coach Justin Longmuir said of Brayshaw.

“We needed a big effort … it looked like it was going to be a certain goal and we managed to turn the ball over and we got a good look back the other way.”

Brayshaw led a midfield which responded strongly after being soundly beaten in last week’s 31-point loss to Carlton.

With dual Brownlow Medallist Nat Fyfe playing a half-forward role, Brayshaw combined with Caleb Serong, Will Brodie and ruckman Sean Darcy to ensure Fremantle dominated the clearances.

Outside runners James Aish and Jordan Clark were also important while 207cm spearhead Lobb feasted on Fremantle’s forward forays.

Lobb, off contract next year and linked to a possible move to the east coast after a failed trade bid last season, slotted three of his five goals in the opening 10 minutes of the third quarter.

Ollie Wines (39 disposals) and Travis Boak (32) led Port’s midfield resurgence while Charlie Dixon kicked back-to-back majors in the final term after earlier being held goalless.

The Power, who host GWS next week, sit in 12th position with their final hopes dwindling.

Coach Ken Hinkley was proud of his side’s fightback but acknowledged it came far too late.

“We nearly could have won, couldn’t we, if you look at the game and look at the shots that we had and the chances we didn’t execute in the end,” he said.

“But when you put yourself that far behind, you probably don’t deserve to win.”